Monday, February 6, 2012

Puppy chow

I cannot stop eating puppy chow. It's like a drug. This recipe should come with a warning. OK consider this your warning. Do not make puppy chow unless you either plan to share it with friends or eat it all yourself. This dish is also known in some circles as "muddy buddies".

I did an online search for puppy chow and found this recipe. I loved the blogger's presentation in the little snowflake bins. Cute idea! I veganized the recipe by substituting butter for Earth Balance buttery sticks. Just as good, I promise! I also changed the quantities in the recipe because I only bought 1 box of cereal and it was 6 cups instead of 9. It worked out perfectly. I don't think you can mess up puppy chow. I mean, look at the ingredients and how delicious they are.

Ingredients:

1 box whole grain chex cereal (I used Cascadian Farms brand multi-grain)
3/4 c. chocolate chips
1/3 c. creamy peanut butter (feel free to use no-sugar added, as this is already a very sweet dessert)
3 Tbs Earth Balance
1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 gallon-sized ziplock bag

1. Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside. In a medium microwavable bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter and Earth Balance. Microwave on high for 1 minute and stir. It should be hot enough to melt the chocolate chips if you keep stirring. If not,  just pop it in the microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla.

2. Pour sauce over cereal and stir gently until evenly coated. Add the powdered sugar to the ziplock bag and then spoon the cereal mixture into the bag. Seal tightly. Shake the bag until everything is coated.

3. Spread on waxed (or parchment) paper to cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment