Monday, February 13, 2012

Coffee chocolate chip ice cream

Go out and buy an ice cream maker! You will make better ice cream than any ice cream you can buy at the store. This is true for vegan and non-vegans alike! Not only will you be able to experiment with delicious new flavor combinations, you will also know EXACTLY what ingredients are in your ice cream. In addition, a lot of times store-bought vegan ice cream (even the really tasty ones) are too sweet for me. I like making homemade ice cream because I can play with the amount of sugar or make it with agave nectar or other natural sweeteners.

I have the ice cream maker attachment that goes along with the KitchenAid stand mixer. Yes, this one is a little expensive but I have only great things to say about it. It's so easy to use and really easy to clean. You can use this recipe with any kind of ice cream maker.

Feel free to experiment with the ingredients in this. I use the vanilla ice cream recipe from Veganomicon as a base and then play around with different flavors. Today I made coffee chocolate chip ice cream. I've also done (before starting the blog) pumpkin, mint chocolate chip and chocolate. I'll blog new flavors as I make them from here on out! Coffee ice cream has been one of my favorites since I was a little kid and we've been making this one for the past few batches.


Ingredients:

about 12 oz soft tofu, drained
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 Tbs instant coffee
sprinkle of cinnamon
mini dairy-free chocolate chips

1. Blend the above ingredients until creamy. Store in the fridge for about an hour until completely chilled. If they're already pretty cold (ours were because our house is almost always freezing) then go ahead and skip the chill part.

2. Follow your ice cream maker's instructions.





3. Chill for a few hours before eating. This comes out of the ice cream maker really soft so if you like it soft you might be able to eat it right away but otherwise, let it sit in the freezer for awhile. Store in an airtight container in the freezer. It eventually gets pretty hard so feel free to microwave it a little to soften it up before scooping.


I ate some for dessert tonight sprinkled with some granola. Very delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment