Friday, February 3, 2012

Banana breakfast muffins

Right now I'm not working on Fridays which I'm very happy about today because we got a lot of snow last night and I'm snowed in! We're supposed to get more throughout the day so I will probably just get stuff done around the house... but really I'm going to read Game of Thrones and lounge around in my PJs until Michael gets home:)

This morning I woke up and realized we have 7 bananas that are ready to be used for banana baked goods so I decided to make some banana bread. Then I decided to make muffins instead, because I was hungry and didn't feel like waiting for banana bread to bake. This is my own recipe but was inspired by Skinny Bitch's "Banana and Cinnamon Muffins" and Oh She Glows' "Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins". This recipe will make 12 muffins plus a mini banana bread pan worth of muffin. Feel free to use the extra to make some mini muffins or however else you'd like to use it. These would be fantastic with some walnuts- but we didn't have any left:( They're not overly sweet and are even a bit dry- which I like for breakfast because then I can have them with some jam and Earth Balance or with some vegan cream cheese or yogurt.



"Leah's banana breakfast muffins with cinnamon streusel topping"

Ingredients:

2 3/4 c. flour (half white, half whole wheat pastry)
1/4 c. almond meal

1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 c. almond milk
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. maple syrup
3 Tbs sugar
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. ground flax seeds
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract

Topping:
2 Tbs + 2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp Earth Balance
2 tsp flour
pinch of salt

1. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin pan with paper liners.

2. Mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside to curdle. Meanwhile, Mix together all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

3. Add the liquids and flax seeds to the milk mixture and stir vigorously to incorporate the oil and sugar.

4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry until just mixed.

5. Gently spoon the batter into a muffin pan. You can be generous with the amount you spoon.

6. Make topping and sprinkle on top. Bake for about 18-20 minutes- or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Enjoy with your morning coffee and a good book!

Happy Friday, everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment