Friday, February 24, 2012

Creamy avocado pesto with broccoli

Mmmm pesto. I love it. Even though basil isn't quite in season yet- once in awhile I make a splurge! This pasta dish is so creamy and delicious and was exactly what I wanted to eat tonight for dinner. I love when that happens. I got the recipe from Oh She Glows. Angela Liddon is amazing! Her original recipe is half of what I have here and it serves 2 but we were pretty hungry so I doubled it and we have some leftover. I also added broccoli to the mix because we wanted to have some more greens in the dish- broccoli is perfect with this creamy sauce because it sops it up and you get a mouthful of delicious creamy pesto. We'll see how the leftovers taste- I'm not planning on re-heating them because avocado doesn't heat well. The lemon juice should preserve the avocado enough to taste good cold for lunch. Think- pesto pasta salad. I'll let you know!

Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 medium sized avocados, pitted
1 lemon juiced plus lemon zest to garnish
4-6 garlic cloves to taste (of course we used 6)
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 cup fresh basil
4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
8 oz pasta of your choice (I used whole wheat shells)
2 handfuls broccoli florets
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Bring several cups of water to boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium and cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add the pitted avocado, basil and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.


3. About 5 minutes before pasta is done cooking add the broccoli florets into the water. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta back in the pot with a little olive oil so it doesn't stick. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.


I added freshly cracked black pepper- and I liked it. For those of you who know me, this is a huge step!

No comments:

Post a Comment