Friday, February 3, 2012

Feta "cheese"

One of our favorite pizzas is a Greek pizza with spinach, diced tomato, red pepper, olives, loads of garlic and feta. We used to make this as our Friday night pizza almost every week, sprinkled with tons of feta and mozzarella cheese. Yum! It was really tasty. I've missed it since I stopped eating a lot of cheese. Speaking of cheese, it's been a hot topic lately- I heard this story on NPR yesterday and my friend Emily sent me a link to a similar story a few weeks ago. I agree with what they say at the end of the article about how the French consider a cheese a treat, like a dessert- "fromage ou dessert" or "cheese or dessert" but not both. When I was living in France we actually rarely had what Americans would call "dessert" after dinner- instead we had a piece of fruit or a small, plain yogurt. Sometimes, for a treat we had a piece of cheese and it was savored as a treat. I like this attitude toward food- savor what is a treat, don't eat too much of it and don't eat it all the time. I'm not saying I'll never eat cheese again- I just want to change my attitude toward it... such as not eating tons of it on a pizza like it's a normal, healthy dinner.

Anyways. We had our favorite Greek pizza tonight for dinner, topped with this delicious "feta" cheese. It actually tastes like feta and I'm content:) Here is a link to the original recipe.

Ingredients:

1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (you can do this with paper towels or kitchen towels and some cookbooks on top, to get out some of the liquid.
2 Tbs water
4 tsp yellow miso paste
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp salt
2 tsp basil, dried
1 tsp oregano or marjoram, dried
1/4 tsp rosemary, dried
1-2 Tbs nutritional yeast

1. Press the tofu with towels and set aside for about 10 minutes. Unwrap the tofu and break it into big pieces and place it in a medium bowl.

2. Whisk all the remaining ingredients together, except for the nutritional yeast. Pour mixture over the tofu and break the tofu into smaller pieces. Let sit for at least 10 minutes (I kept mine for an hour or two in the fridge).


3. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast on top and mix it together again. Use in a salad or on a pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment