|We snacked on black olives while we cooked.|
whole wheat capellini (we made all 16 oz and this was way too much)
1 large onion or 2 small onions, sliced thinly
1/2 green pepper, chopped
a handful or so of spinach
spices to taste (we used garlic, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper)
gardein "chicken" cutlets
1. Heat your pasta water and when ready, prepare pasta as indicated on package.
2. Meanwhile, slice and chop your veggies.
3. Heat about 2 Tbs olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until lightly brown and caramelized. Michael came up with a good way to do this- just let them sit for about 20 seconds and then stir them and let them sit again, instead of constantly stirring. This way they get a chance to actually cook awhile and caramelize.
4. Add the green pepper and spices and stir for a bit. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts.
6. In the same pan you cooked the veggies, cook the cutlets according to package directions (about 1-2 minutes per side). Serve these on top of the pasta mixture with some vegan parmesan.
We enjoyed our pasta with some delicious New Belgium brewery beers. I don't think they're technically vegan but again, I pick and choose my battles. They're local, very eco-friendly and have unique and delicious beer.