Sunday, January 22, 2012

Avocado milkshakes

Or "Why I should always listen to my friend Emily when it comes to food"

My good friend Emily, also a foodie friend, has been trying to get me to try this recipe for over a year. She had her first avocado milkshake at a Vietnamese restaurant in New York and she has been hooked ever since. Every time I tell her I picked up some avocados at the store she sends me this recipe and tells me to make it. I don't know why I've been so stubborn- maybe because usually avocados picked up at the store are destined for specific recipes that are not milkshakes. I should have listened to her sooner. Go buy an avocado and make its destiny this milkshake recipe. It's great as a snack, meal or dessert. Just go make it.

Ingredients:

1 avocado (young, fairly firm, with no brown spots in the flesh)
1 cup nondairy milk (unsweetened almond is an excellent choice)
3 Tbs cane sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
6 ice cubes
additional milk as needed

1. Put all non-avocado ingredients in the blender. Cut avocado and spoon the flesh into the blender.


2. Blend until smooth. Add milk and blend again if it's too thick for your taste.


3. Drink. This is very filling- definitely a meal if you do the whole avocado, but if you share it with a friend it's a good snack! Michael and I split one to drink with a light dinner tonight and it was so good.

Listen to my friend Emily!!! Go make this!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment