Thursday, January 19, 2012

Daily Oatz

Back in October we bought a 9 lb box of oatmeal. NINE pounds. I thought we'd eat healthier breakfasts if we had this in our cupboard. Turns out it sat there for a few months, untouched. I ended up putting a few cups in a little container to make it seem like a smaller amount and the big box was hidden in the back of the cupboard. When my parents were visiting over Christmas they finished the oatmeal in the container and felt bad that they had eaten all our oatmeal so they went out and bought us some replacement oats for the container. They didn't know about the big box. Now we were back to 9 lbs of oatmeal.

For a New Years resolution/bet with Michael I decided to eat oatmeal every day until the 9 lbs are gone. This quickly changed to every weekday because I just can't eat the same thing every day. It took me awhile to find a good recipe that I wouldn't get sick of but here it is! I took some inspiration from the latest issue of Vegetarian Times magazine- they have an oatmeal recipe where the oats soak overnight. At first, when I wasn't soaking them, I couldn't get the oats to not be crunchy, no matter how I cooked them so I decided to try the soaking thing. This is good for two reasons- the oats aren't crunchy, they're faster to cook and you get to get most of your breakfast ready the night before. So simple.


"Daily Oatz"

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup nondairy milk (I use almond)
I add:
1/2 Tbs chia seeds
1/2 Tbs ground flax seeds
1/2 Tbs almond meal
a spoon of maple syrup
dash of cinnamon
dash of vanilla



1. In a bowl or container mix 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup nondairy milk. Cover tightly and place in the fridge overnight.




2. The next morning, heat the oats in a microwave safe container for 1 minute, then stir. Heat for 1 more minute and stir again. (2 minutes total- but this depends on your microwave.)

3. Add your toppings and stir.





4. Enjoy!




This is a hearty and healthy breakfast that is sure to keep you full for awhile.



No comments:

Post a Comment